Saturday, January 1, 2011

Let the diets begin!



It's 1-1-11!!  How are you doing on your New Year's resolutions so far?  I am sorry to admit that I ate too much chocolate today, but I did eat a very yummy salad for dinner tonight...romaine lettuce, grilled chicken, strawberries, chopped walnuts, and a splash of olive oil and lemon juice.  Mmmmmm.  Good for me!

Yes, I would like to lose 5 pounds.  It is one of my resolutions.  Actually, the weight really isn't.  I truly, truly do want to eat so much healthier.  I am bound and determined this year!  You see, when I was sitting in the hospital for 3 weeks, people were bringing us desserts every day.  AND, the nutrition people were bringing Sarah food that she would not eat, including the best chocolate cake and pies.  So, you do the math.  That's a lot of desserts.  And, a whole lot of just sitting in a hospital room putting on pounds. Bad, bad me.

I got some inspiration from our old friend, Ben Franklin, from his Poor Richard's Almanac.  Did you know they were most likely making healthy eating New Year's resolutions almost 300 years ago?  Here's a sample of what he had to say...

"Eat few suppers, and you'll need few medicines."

"Many dishes, many diseases."

"I saw few die of hunger;  of eating--100,000."  (I thought that one was pretty interesting...)

"A full belly makes a dull brain."

"Eat to live, and not live to eat."

"A fat kitchen, a lean will."

"He that never eats too much, will never be lazy."

"9 men in 10 are suicides."

Hmmmm...I think old Ben was advising us not to eat so much.  What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I'm with ya! I need to lose 5 lbs too! I loved the holiday deserts and I didn't hold back this year- oops!

    I always lose weight when we go to China- so it's will be good that we are going this spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Healthy eating has gone out the window now that we are in the boy fog! I did lose a little weight in China, but I'm afraid it's back on again now after all the treats we were given when we got home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day!
    http://healthguidereviews.info/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this blog!! The flash up the top is awesome!!
    healthguidereviews

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing.
    healthguidereviews.info

    ReplyDelete