Thursday, December 30, 2010

New Year's Thoughts...

I am looking at the clock, and it says 1:07.  That means two things:  one, I stay up way too late.  And two, it is the very last day of 2010.  Seriously--the very last day!  I know I say this every single year, but can you believe it?  Didn't this year just fly by like a bullet?  Doesn't it make you realize how short our time here on this earth really is?  My, my. 

I really love New Year's Eve.  We don't party--at least not THAT kind of partying, so it's nothing like that.  I just love a fresh page.  You know?  A new start.  It just feels good in my bones to have a starting point again.  I am the sort who makes New Year's resolutions.  And I do have a few I'm mulling over that I'll let you in on, but probably not tonight.  And I always like to look back on the year and reflect.  Cassandra and I were talking about 2010 tonight, and it was certainly a big one. 

Of course, in our little world, 2010 was the year of cancer.  We got the diagnosis and the healing all in 6 short months' time!  It was a whirlwind of emotions, appointments, hospital stays, and some downright normalcy mixed in.  It was an amazing time of learning and drawing near to God, and of experiencing Him drawing near to us like we had never experienced before.  Yes, it was the year of cancer.

But, it was the year of something else that completely overshadows the cancer, to me.  2010 was the year that we realized in full force how truly wonderful and miraculous adoption really is.

We adopted Sarah near the end of 2009.  We arrived home from our China trip on October 31, so technically we were already falling in love with her and learning about what adoption is like.  But those things became solidified to us throughout this year. 

Sometimes I forget that Sarah ever was an orphan living in an institution. 

But other times, when we are rocking and singing at night, or I watch her playing with her brothers or big sister, or when Daddy is sipping pretend tea out of little cups with her, or Grandpa is making her belly laugh...I remember that we were not always her family.  There was a time when she was a statistic.  Just one of the many abandoned babies in China.  I hope that someone thought the world of her like we do, but we just don't know. 

She did not have a family.

This was the first day we saw Sarah.  All of our lives were about to change forever.


Sarah learned pretty quickly that mommies and daddies are pretty great!


And we learned pretty quickly that Sarah is one very special little girl.





You are not an orphan anymore, precious girl.  You are a TREASURE.





You have brothers who adore you...


And a sister who loves you more than life itself.


Sarah, you are more priceless than gold to us.


I hope that in following my blog this year,  you have learned a little more about cancer and our journey through it.  I sincerely hope you have seen God at work in our lives, and that you have been encouraged in your walk with Him, and most of all encouraged to seek Him yourself if you do not know Him. 

But I also hope that our blog has given you a little glimpse into the world of adoption.  My passion and prayer is that there would be no more orphans.  ANYWHERE.  The ones who can help make that happen are you and me!  Could you bring a child into your home who needs a family?  Maybe 2011 is the year that you could seriously consider it, and start taking those steps!  Adopting Sarah has been a blessing so great, that I can't even describe it.  She fills our lives with so much joy, sometimes I think my heart will burst.  Most people really can adopt a child.  It mostly just takes a willing heart. 

And whoso shall receive one such little child in My name receiveth Me.--Matthew 18:5

Thank you so much for being a part of our lives this year.  Everyone who prayed for us and supported us in any way was a tremendous blessing.  May God richly bless you and your family in 2011! 

No comments:

Post a Comment