Friday, September 10, 2010

Choices, choices...

Tonight I had the house to myself.  Well myself and Sarah, and she is in bed.  That so rarely ever happens, and so as soon as I knew I was going to be alone, my mind started buzzing with the possibilities of how I could spend my time.  So many choices...  I could watch a movie I have been wanting to see that my sweet hubby would never want to watch.  I could read my book for a few hours in silence while eating the chocolate I picked up at Family Fare today.  I could write in my journal. I could call one of the long distance friends I've been meaning to call.  Or I could call my mom.  I could hang out on the computer reading blogs like I normally do.  All of these things were vying for my attention, and I was excited about doing all of them, so I couldn't make a bad choice.  And then as I was about ready to make my final decision....I remembered. 

I remembered that it's been a while since I have spent some good, quality time with my Savior. And my heart broke as I realized that not once today as I got ready to spend my evening alone did I even consider spending any of the time with Him. 

And then as I picked up my Bible and headed over to the couch, my heart broke a little more as I realized that I was sad about the fact that I was not watching my movie or calling my friends.




Dear friends,  it is a sorrowful thought that the things of this world so easily pull us away from our best Friend.  My life is full of blessings and joy from Him.  I daily praise Him and thank Him for everything He has given me.  I trust Him as we travel this road with Sarah.  I revel in my life as a mom and the sheer delight my children are to me.  I do pray and read my Bible.  But somewhere along this busy road dotted with clinic and hospital visits, cleaning, meals, laundry, trips to the zoo and the park, and now adding schooling into the mix, my vibrant relationship with Jesus somehow became something I quickly do before I rush into my whirlwind life.  

Tonight He reminded me.  Instead of jumping into my movie or my book, I repented of my selfishness and spent the time with Him. 

And the longer I sat there, the better it got.  I forgot all about wishing for those other things, and remembered how truly wonderful it is when I let HIM fill me up instead of STUFF all the time.   

This was the entry from my devotional, Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young:

"I am the resurrection and the Life;  all lasting Life emanates from Me.  People search for life in many wrong ways:  chasing after fleeting pleasures, accumulating possessions and wealth, trying to deny the inevitable effects of aging.  Meanwhile, I freely offer abundant Life to everyone who turns toward Me.  As  you come to Me and take My yoke upon you, I fill you with My very Life. This is how I choose to live in the world and accomplish My purposes.  This is also how I bless you with Joy unspeakable and full of Glory.  The Joy is Mine, and the Glory is Mine; but I bestow them on you as you live in My Presence, inviting Me to live fully in you." 

John 11:25--I Am the resurrection and the Life.  He that believeth in Me, though he were dead, yet shall He live

It always amazes me how He is so faithful to be there, ready to breathe that Life into my dry spirit again every time I come willing to die to myself and accept it.  He is so good to us.  I hope you know Him too, and if you don't or are not sure, please contact me!  I would love to share Him with you.

1 comment:

  1. So true, and so convicting. A poignant reminder of what is truly important. Thank you, sweet friend.

    Love you lots,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete