Thursday, December 9, 2010

Christmas shopping with a purpose!

I am short on time today, but I just wanted to write this post really quick...

I think it was early this year that I heard it.  It was a radio program hi-lighting a ministry that promotes awareness about sex trafficking.  I can't remember the ministry's name, but they are working diligently to help these women and children--rescue them, and get them started in a new life.  I remember being so entranced by the program.  Of course I had heard about sex trafficking before, but I had never really THOUGHT about it.  Now I was forced to really sit and think about it.  I was so moved and devastated.  I just sat in the grocery store parking lot listening and feeling helpless.  I don't know if I had ever felt so desperate to DO something, but I knew the problem was so immense, that there wasn't much I could do.  And I had no idea where to start.  So, I prayed for the ministry and the victims, and went on my way.

Fast forward to now... I am so excited to say that there is a ministry based right in the city where I live that is doing something to help combat this problem!  It is called WAR International.  They have a website with MANY ways that we can help.  How it works is, these brave workers go into these countries and rescue women and girls out of the sex trade, and bring them to "safe houses."  They teach them how to make something, and then sell those things here in America.  The jewelry they make is BEAUTIFUL, excellent quality, and very affordable!  They also sell gift baskets, some clothing, home accessories, and some really cute toys.

Anyway...I did some of my Christmas shopping at the WAR International store by our house, and I left feeling more excited than I have been in a long time.  Finally, something I can do to help combat this horrible problem!  And after the holidays I am going to have a home party to sell some of the products.  Just like T*pperware or P*ampered Chef, you can sell these beautiful products to your friends, and know the purchases are going to help change someone's life!  I talked to the store manager, and she told me that almost all of the ladies in one of the safe houses gave their lives to Christ.  I had my 6 year old, Ben in the store with me, and we were looking at the cool toys.  I told him about the store and how they are helping people get out of slavery.  His eyes lit up, and he said, "That makes me want to buy MORE things!"    I hope it makes you want to consider buying some things too. : )

There are more ways to help than just buying things.  You can find out all about it on their website:  http://warinternational.org/



Also, if you want more ideas for Christmas shopping, you can check out the 30 Days of Giveaways link on the right side of my blog page over there.  On the left side of that blog page, there is a whole list of fun "shops" with a lot of great stuff.  Most of them are handmade, unique kinds of things that people are selling for a good cause.  Go check it out!

Happy Christmas shopping, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment